Wednesday, March 27, 2013

It's Almost Like Starting Over

I'm going to blame December. I believed that I could have some cookies, wine and other sugar laden foods and go right back to the way I was eating before. WRONG! I know sugar stimulates the same area of the brain as cocaine and it is addictive; and I thought I could handle it. Typical addict logic.

I gained 8 pounds in December, and I signed up for the 90 day weight loss challenge in January with the intention of losing those final pounds and once again taking home all the money. I started out okay, losing slowly but at least losing. Then after the surgery I had the frustration of my knee not healing and my own inablility to cope. SO...wine crept back into the diet; sometimes there would be a few cookies as well; and of course coming up on Easter there is chocolate every where. I am eating out of control. I had lost 7 additional pounds since January, but have gained 4 of those back. Out of control, giving into temptations. Dr. Fuhrman refers to it as toxic hunger — as opposed to true hunger.

This evening my husband made a wonderful pot of vegetarian chili. I wanted wine to go with it; I was craving wine; I was going to go to the store to get a bottle of wine but my husband asked me not to...if I did he would want to drink some too and he didn't want the empty calories. I think I'm a bit surprised by how much of a struggle this is.

I started rereading Dr. Fuhrman's book Eat To Live and retraining my brain to get the nutrition I need and cut the toxic crap out of my diet. I WILL lose those final pounds. My current goal is to lose 20 pounds by the end of May. Good thing I love vegetables and I live in an area that has so many good grocery stores nearby.

No comments:

Post a Comment